help needed porting stuff to Python 3?
Greg Johnson
2010-12-20 06:38:34 UTC
Very new to this mail list; sorry if I am asking naive questions!

Are there modules that still need to be ported to Python 3?

If so (and my impression is that there are), how would I go about exploring how to help?

I'm an experienced (i.e., "gray-haired" ;-)) programmer, somewhat new to Python.

Would be delighted to help in any way possible in ongoing porting efforts.

What about the OpenGL Python modules Pyglet and PyOpenGL? Are there ongoing efforts that I could join or start participating in?

Or would there be something else that people would suggest looking at?

Thanks a million,

Greg
Lennart Regebro
2010-12-20 10:21:51 UTC
What about the OpenGL Python modules Pyglet and PyOpenGL?  Are there ongoing efforts that I could join or start participating in?
I don't think anyone here has a list of every project being ported.
You'll have to ask the maintainers of those modules. I'm sure they
will appreciate the help.
Or would there be something else that people would suggest looking at?
Nah. Go with what you use and think is good.
Martin v. Löwis
2010-12-20 10:26:27 UTC
Post by Greg Johnson
Or would there be something else that people would suggest looking at?
There is a list of projects that people would like to see ported:

http://www.python.org/
http://www.python.org/3kpoll

That doesn't mean that maintainers of these packages necessarily welcome
porting activities - only that users of the packages would
like to see them ported.

Regards,
Martin
Quentin Gallet
2010-12-20 10:31:35 UTC
Post by Greg Johnson
Or would there be something else that people would suggest looking at?
There was a similar discussion on python-dev 3 weeks ago:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-December/106228.html
Useful links are provided, including the poll Martin gave you.

Cheers,
Quentin