Attempt to organize people who want to help port
Toshio Kuratomi
2010-10-21 04:27:07 UTC
After a few mailing list posts about porting to python3 when upstreams are
dead, I've started a page to help organize people who want to do porting
work without (previously :-) being associated with upstream.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PortingToPy3k/PortingHelpers

This is very rough atm as I just brainstormed it in the past hour. I know
that Barry Warsaw and Dave Malcolm are both interested in this as well.
If we can keep up the momentum here we might get some useful information
and get some more people interested in working on python3 porting.

-Toshio
Barry Warsaw
2010-10-21 15:33:19 UTC
Post by Toshio Kuratomi
After a few mailing list posts about porting to python3 when upstreams are
dead, I've started a page to help organize people who want to do porting
work without (previously :-) being associated with upstream.
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PortingToPy3k/PortingHelpers
This is very rough atm as I just brainstormed it in the past hour. I know
that Barry Warsaw and Dave Malcolm are both interested in this as well.
If we can keep up the momentum here we might get some useful information
and get some more people interested in working on python3 porting.
Thanks for getting this rolling Toshio. I've sent an email to the
debian-python list to inform them of python-porting and the wiki page. I'll
be really happy if we can rally the cross-distro troops to this important
effort.

Does anybody have connections to other communities of Linux distro developers
or even other OS developers? If so, please invite them to this mailing list
and point them at the wiki page.

Cheers,
-Barry

P.S. We should definitely have a talk at Pycon about these efforts. Who wants
to (co-)give a talk?
Brian Curtin
2010-10-21 15:58:08 UTC
Post by Barry Warsaw
Post by Toshio Kuratomi
[...]
+1 on a PyCon talk.
The PSF Sprints group would love to support more porting sprints (only two
so far), and getting PyCon attendees into porting initiatives would be
great. I'd be up for co-speaking on behalf of the sprints group to let
people know what resources are available and what porting efforts are going
on, along with whatever of my porting experience people would find relevant.
Brett Cannon
2010-10-21 17:03:10 UTC
Post by Brian Curtin
Post by Toshio Kuratomi
[...]
Part 2 of my PSF grant is to write a Python 2/3 HOWTO (planning on
2to3, source compat, and 3to2 discussions) which should hopefully help
get people more motivated to help port.
Toshio Kuratomi
2010-10-21 18:59:43 UTC
Post by Barry Warsaw
Post by Toshio Kuratomi
[...]
I've sent a message to the fedora python lists and also to
distributions freedesktop.org list (where a few people from many distros are
subscribed).
Post by Barry Warsaw
P.S. We should definitely have a talk at Pycon about these efforts. Who wants
to (co-)give a talk?
I might -- depends on what we can get rolling before then. Not a lot of
time to get this rolling though. A lightning talk would be great if we
don't get to the point where we can give a full talk. If we don't get a lot
setup, I'd still be up for actually coding on infrastructure to make porting
easier/doing porting at the hackfest.

-Toshio
Zubin Mithra
2010-10-31 19:07:40 UTC
Hello Toshio,
Post by Toshio Kuratomi
After a few mailing list posts about porting to python3 when upstreams are
dead, I've started a page to help organize people who want to do porting
work without (previously :-) being associated with upstream.
Thanks for taking the initiative on this one!

I would like to contribute to this effort. I am currently working on porting
configobj to Python3k and expect to get it done within the coming month.

I feel that if we can generate a list of packages rated by
importance(`importance` here being the number of packages which require this
package as a dependency) we should be able to focus our energies better on
porting them over first.

I feel that most developers are reluctant to work on porting their
dependencies too, aside from their own package(which is of course,
understandable); hence this approach might be of help in that case.

zm