Public wishlist of Python 3 ports?
Barry Warsaw
2013-07-10 12:53:42 UTC
At work, we've been discussing the blockers for Python 3 adoption, which
mostly boil down to a few critical packages.

I wonder if it makes sense to publish in some wiki page or other, a list of
packages that people would like to see ported. It would be even cooler if
folks could vote on those packages, or sign up to help work together on a
port.

We've seen some really awesome progress on the move to Python 3 over the last
year or two. 2013 is the year of Python 3! How can we amp up the pace and
really push us over the edge toward more Python 3 and less Python 2?

-Barry
Martin v. Löwis
2013-07-10 13:27:19 UTC
Post by Barry Warsaw
At work, we've been discussing the blockers for Python 3 adoption,
which mostly boil down to a few critical packages.
I wonder if it makes sense to publish in some wiki page or other, a
list of packages that people would like to see ported. It would be
even cooler if folks could vote on those packages, or sign up to
help work together on a port.
Have you seen the "Python 3 Poll" on www.python.org?

It's been running for several years now.

Regards,
Martin
Lennart Regebro
2013-07-10 13:50:05 UTC
Post by Martin v. Löwis
Have you seen the "Python 3 Poll" on www.python.org?
It would be nice if that could be updated to point out when the
packages get support for Python 3.

Or when they will not. Pylons will probably not be ported to Python 3,
for example, but it's replacement, Pyramid, supports it.

//Lennart
Barry Warsaw
2013-07-10 13:30:15 UTC
Post by Lennart Regebro
Or when they will not. Pylons will probably not be ported to Python 3,
for example, but it's replacement, Pyramid, supports it.
Similarly for PIL/Pillow.

-Barry

Barry Warsaw
2013-07-10 13:28:59 UTC
Post by Martin v. Löwis
Have you seen the "Python 3 Poll" on www.python.org?
It's been running for several years now.
It's a start I guess. But the results are definitely out of date, and there's
no way a group of volunteers can sign up to work together to get the package
ported. It would also be nice to somehow communicate these results more
widely, e.g. to the authors of the packages.

- -Barry